A cheeky opportunity to make something that I have been craving for a while! Traditionally made with pistachios, I decided to try to replicate a cashew variety that I had in Selfridges.
350g cashew nuts chopped medium-fine
150g butter melted
2 packets filo pastry
For the syrup:
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. To make the syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Boil for 5 minutes then pour the syrup into a jug, let it cool and then chill in the fridge.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
4. Brush a 23×23cm tin with melted butter and cover the base of the tin with a layer of filo pastry, leaving enough overhang to come up the side of the tin.
5. Brush the filo with the melted butter and add another layer of filo without any overhang.
6. Repeat this again so that there are three layers of pastry on the base.
7. Sprinkle the pastry with a couple of tablespoons of the chopped nuts.
8. Cover this with a layer of filo, brush with melted butter and add another layer of pastry.
9. Keep building the baklava up in this way until you have used up all the nuts and pastry finishing with three layers of filo on the top brushed with butter.
10. Cut the baklava into 16 squares using a sharp knife and bake for 30 minutes.
11. Pour half the syrup over the baklava once it comes out of the oven, leave to soak in and then pour over the rest.
12. Leave to cool and then serve.