In keeping with the nostalgic theme of my first blog I decided to steal one of my Mum’s recipes. She used to send me off to school with loaves of Lemon Madiera wrapped in tin foil- on those days I was particularly popular!
- 225g margarine
- 225g sugar
- 225g flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the syrup:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pre-heat the oven to 160˚C and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the sugar and margarine together in an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs and beat.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the mixture and beat until smooth.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 1 1/4hrs until a skewer comes out clean, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- While the cake is baking, put all the ingredients for the syrup in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Immediately after turning the cake out onto the wire rack, drizzle the syrup over all sides of the cake and leave to cool.